Materials in the Open Collection are immediately available unless they have been taken out by another customer. Materials from the closed repository are delivered to customers in the library by 11 a.m. the next weekday.
Some of the materials are only available as replacement copies, in other words, as microfilms, microfiche or digital recordings.
Microfiche and microfilms in the reference film repository are immediately available to customers. The use of materials in the closed repository requires a material request.
Microfiche are found in the microfilm reading room. There is no need to make an advance order for microfiche. The exception is Svenska litteratursällskapet’s archive material microfiche, which are available for customers in the special reading room with a material request.
The reference film repository includes
- Finnish newspapers until 31 Dec. 1944
- Finnish periodicals from 1950s to 1970s
- Individual periodical groups, such as humour magazines and war front magazines
- American-Finnish newspapers
- A few foreign newspaper titles
- A few of the most in-demand newspapers from the beginning of their publication until the last few years.
Order from the closed repository will be delivered by 11 a.m. on the second weekday after the order. The reading room loan period of microfilms delivered from the closed repository is 7 days.
Digitised materials can be used at the legal deposit workstations at our library and partly also outside the library on, for example, home PC. There is no need to make an advance order for digitised materials.