Researcher facilities in The National Library of Finland:
The following facilities are available:
- Researcher carrels in the South Hall (20 research carrels)
- Researcher carrels in the Slavonic Library (4 carrels)
- Shelves in the North Hall (20 shelves)
- Cabinets in Rotunda, 6th floor (4 cabinets)
- Lockers in Rotunda, 1st floor (12 lockers)
The researcher facilities are free of charge.
Who can apply for researcher facilities and how can I apply?
Researcher facilities are open to all. The criteria for selection include:
- The researcher’s need of the resources of the National Library (especially material restricted to reading room loans)
- The researcher’s current working conditions
- The weekly amount of time the researcher will use the carrel
There are two application rounds each year, taking place in November–December and May. Researcher carrels are granted for one (only in November–December round) or a half calendar year. Storage units – shelves, cabinets and lockers – are granted for one year.
The November-December 2019 application round takes place 18.11–8.12. In this round, the following facilities can be applied for:
- Researcher carrels in the South Hall, 12 months (1.1.–31.12.2020), 10 carrels
- Researcher carrels in the South Hall, 6 months (1.1.–30.6.2020), 10 carrels
- Researcher carrels in the Slavonic Library, 12 months (1.1.–31.12.2020), 2 carrels
- Researcher carrels in the Slavonic Library, 6 months (1.1.–30.6.2020), 2 carrel
- Shelves in the North Hall, 12 months (1.1.–31.12.2020), 20 shelves
- Cabinets, Rotunda, 6th floor, 12 months (1.1.–31.12.2020), 4 cabinets
- Lockers, Rotunda, 1st floor, 12 months (1.1.–31.12.2020), 12 lockers
Applications should be submitted via an online form by 8 December. Successful applicants will be notified by 17 December 2019.
Researcher facilities that have been vacated during the term and further information may be inquired from our customer service (kk-palvelut(at)helsinki.fi).
For what kind of work are the different researcher facilities suited?
The researcher facilities at the National Library are divided according to their location and purpose of use in five groups.
Researcher carrels in the South Hall
The researcher carrels in the South Hall are particularly well suited for researchers who need National Library material, which is available only for reading room loan. The material will be deposited onto the researcher’s own shelf in the South Hall. Material from the Fennica and other special collections cannot be delivered to the South Hall.
Every recipient of a researcher carrel will have at their disposal approximately two metres of shelf space and a movable cabinet for storing personal items. In addition to the reservable researcher carrels, the South Hall has 12 reader desks.
Researcher carrels in the Slavonic Library
The researcher carrels in the Slavonic Library are intended primarily for researchers using the Slavonic Library’s reading room loans and its open collection. The researcher carrels are equipped with lockable drawers and provide researchers with the opportunity to store their reading room loans on their desk and shelves.
Shelves in the North Hall
A shelf can fit approximately 80 cm of reading room loans and personal reading material, which can be stored on the shelf for the duration of the reserved term. The researcher must ensure that all reading room loans are renewed on time. Moreover, the researcher is responsible for personal reading material stored on the shelf. Fennica (National Collection) or special collections material will not be delivered to the North Hall.
Cabinets in Rotunda, 6th floor
The lockable cabinets (106x50x42 cm) are are suitable for storing researchers’ own materials and personal items. They are not intended for storing reading room loans or material from the open collection.
Lockers in Rotunda, 1st floor
The lockable lockers (36x37x45 cm) are are suitable for storing researchers’ own materials and personal items. They are not intended for storing reading room loans or material from the open collection.