In 2019 and 2020 new library systems will be introduced at the National Library of Finland and Helsinki University Library. The change will first take place at the National Library. The National Library will move to Koha, an open and free source code library system, and will also develop it according to the needs of Finnish scientific libraries.
Kansalliskirjasto siirtyy käyttämään avoimen lähdekoodin Koha-kirjastojärjestelmää, jota se myös kehittää suomalaisten tiedekirjastojen tarpeisiin.
Due to change of library system the lending services are unavailable at the National Library between 24 August and 1 September. Loans from the National Library will not expire between 10 August and 15 September. The last normal due date is Friday, 9 August, and the next valid due date is not until 16 September. No late fees will be invoiced for the period in between.
From Monday, 2 September onwards, all loans, requests, reservations, returns and payments related to the National Library must be completed at the Library or through the National Library Search at kansalliskirjasto.finna.fi.
A National Library card can be obtained from 2 September onwards by visiting the National Library. Please remember to bring official proof of identity with you. Helka library cards will remain valid when using services provided by Helka libraries. At the National Library, Helka cards will only be accepted until 30 November.
Read more from our "Changes in autumn 2019" FAQ.
- 16 August is the last day when loans from the National Library can be returned to Helsinki University Library.
- 24 August–1 September No online lending services for National Library material
- 26 August–30 August The Library building and information services are open. The Library’s open collection and reference library are available on the Library premises. Home loans are not available, requests cannot be made or picked up, nor are storage retrieval requests fulfilled. Requests for the special reading room will be fulfilled as usual. The Library accepts returns between 26 and 30 August, but no receipts will be given. The next due date is not until 16 September, leaving ample time for returning loans later.
- 10 August–15 September National Library loan periods do not expire. The last normal due date is Friday, 9 August, and the next valid due date is not until 16 September. No late fees will be invoiced for the period in between.
- 2 September The National Library Search will open on Monday, 2 September.
- 2 September National Library cards can be picked up from the Library from Monday, 2 September onwards.
- 30 November At the National Library, Helka cards will only be accepted until 30 November. Helka library cards will continue to be used for Helka library services.