Changes in the library systems of universities affect the use of the Finna.fi search service
The national information search service Finna.fi provides users access to the extensive collections of higher education institutions and special libraries. A variety of library cards can be used for signing in to Finna.fi, after which users can create favourite lists on material, for example. In the summer of 2020, some of these libraries will change their library systems, which will disable signing in with library cards. These libraries are:
- Library of Parliament
- JAMK University of Applied Sciences Library
- Kajaani University of Applied Sciences Library
- Lapland University Consortium Library
- LUT University Library
- Oulu University Library
- Savonia University of Applied Sciences Library
- Uniarts Library
My user account was created by signing in with a library card from one the abovementioned libraries. How can I access Finna.fi in the future?
Your current Finna.fi user account will be disabled on the date specified in the library-specific schedule below.
- Library of Parliament: 02 June 2020
- JAMK University of Applied Sciences Library: 22 June 2020
- Kajaani University of Applied Sciences Library: 02 July 2020
- LUT University Library: 18 June 2020
- Oulu University Library: 29 June 2020
- Savonia University of Applied Sciences Library: 02 July 2020
- Uniarts Library: 30 June 2020
The accounts are being disabled because after the system change, the cards can no longer be used to log in to the service. If you have saved searches or favourite lists on your account, please export them before your account is disabled (see instructions at the bottom of this page).
You will be able to restore your favourites after the downtime at the start of August, when you create a new user account with your library card. When logging in, the system will create a new Finna account for you. Alternatively, you can create a new Finna account immediately by logging in using the Finna ID.
We recommend that you keep up with your library’s communications about the schedule of the expected downtime.
I created my user account with a HAKA ID or a Finna ID. Will my account be affected?
No, your account will not be affected and all information you have saved will be safe without taking any special measures.
Will the links on my favourites list work in the future?
Unfortunately, favourited links to material belonging to the libraries that are changing their system will not work in the future. All other data on the material will be saved.
LUT University Library’s cards will stop working in Finna.fi on 29 June 2020
In addition to the changes specified above, the LUT University Library’s cards will no longer work in the Finna.fi service from 29 June 2020 onward. This means that you can no longer renew your loans or reserve material from LUT University Library via Finna. However, material and their availability data for the library can be still accessed from 29 June 2020 onwards via the Finna.fi service after the system change.
If you have registered in the Finna.fi service with a LUT University Library card, you can create a new Finna account by using the Finna ID, HAKA login or some other library card. You can link any other cards to the account and import the searches and favourite lists you have saved there.
This is how to save your favourite list
1. Log in using your library card and select Profile.
2. Select Download favourites and saved searches.
3. Create a Finna ID, log in using the HAKA ID for universities or the card details of another library, and import your favourites and searches to your account.
If you need more information, please contact the National Library of Finland at finna-palaute(at)helsinki.fi.