Fabiania, named after its location on Fabianinkatu, was originally built as the Faculty of Chemistry and Anatomy. The successor of C.L. Engel, who died in 1840, as the architect of the university was Jean Wiik, whose first independent design was the laboratory building. It represented simple, symmetrical Classicism and austere office construction, when compared with the university buildings designed by Engel. Fabiania building was transferred to the National Library of Finland in 1998.
The new underground collection space of the library, “the Book Cave”, was completed in 2001.
Image: Façade of the Fabiania building. Gustaf Nyström 1895.