Music Library of the Slavonic Library
Collection materials in format
The Music Library of the Slavonic Library comprises sheet music and a collection of recordings.
The Music Library of the Slavonic Library comprises sheet music and a collection of recordings. The sheet music in the collection has mostly been published in the end of the 19th century and early 20th century and it has been received as deposit copies from the Russian Empire. The sheet music is mostly comprised of vocal music: Russian romances, gypsy romances, choir works and children's songs. The collection also contains military music. Key producer of the sheet music is Petr Ivanovitš Jurgenson, who worked as a music publisher and seller in St. Petersburg and Moscow in the early 20th century.
The record collection has been received as a donation from the library of the Finnish Institute for Russian and East European Studies. It comprises early gramophone and vinyl records from the 1950s to the 1980s. The recording range from classical music to the folk music of various Soviet republics and popular music. There also some spoken word recordings. They contain audio versions of literary works and political speeches.
Spatial coverage of the collectionEastern Europe Russia
Main collectionThe Slavonic Library
Parent collectionThe Slavonic Library
Restrictions of useOnly for Special Collections Reading Room Only for Listening room Kept in closed stack collection, use requires ordering the publication
More information about cataloguing
A separate catalogue has been compiled for the record collection received from the Finnish Institute for Russian and East European Studies.
Publication linksSuomen musiikin historia : , Populaarimusiikki (opens a new tab)
Parallel collectionsSheet music publication collection Foreign recording publications
Sheet music was received as deposit copies from the Russian Empire in 1828–1917.
The records were received as a donation from the library of the Finnish Institute for Russian and East European Studies (formerly Institute of Soviet Union).