Map Collection of the Slavonic Library
Collection materials in format
The majority of maps in the Map Collection of the Slavonic Library are Russian maps from the 19th and 20th century received as deposit copies 1828–1917.
The majority of maps in the Map Collection of the Slavonic Library are Russian maps from the 19th and 20th century received as deposit copies 1828–1917. Maps have also been received from the collections of Russian garrisons in Finland as well as school collections and the library of the Finnish Institute for Russian and East European Studies. There are also maps from the Soviet era and the beginning of the 2000s.
Maps comprise following groups:
- General maps
- Parish, etc. maps related to church administration
- Maps depicting various areas
- Themed maps, such as climate, industry and road density maps
- Government maps
- Maps describing various wars of the Russian Empire
- Maps of various continents
- Maps of various countries
- Star atlases
The description retains the character set and orthography of the publication whenever possible. Cyrillic characters may also be retrieved as transliterated according to the ISO-9 standard (see the transliteration guidelines).
Maps are described with Finnish-language keywords and geographical place names. The place names can also be searched in Russian.
More information about cataloguing
Polish-language maps and the Soviet maps donated by the library of the Finnish Institute for Russian and East European Studies can only be found through the card index catalogue.
The collection includes the map collection of Finnish General Casimir Ehrnrooth, donated to the National Library in 1969. The call number Sl. Ka 752-773 has been assigned to the maps.
Russian maps published in the 1990s and early 2000s were acquired with support from the inter-governmental project to compensate Finland with cultural documents for the debts of the Soviet Union.
The maps in the library of the Finnish Institute for Russian and East European Studies (formerly the Soviet Institute) were donated to the National Library when the Institute was closed in 2012.