The Calonius-Naumann Collection
Collection materials in format
The Calonius-Naumann Collection contains Swedish royal statutes, proclamations, official publications and political pamphlets from the 16th century to 1824.
The Calonius-Naumann Collection contains Swedish royal statutes, proclamations, official publications and political pamphlets from the 16th century to 1824. The 25,000 publications in the collection mainly originate from the private libraries of Professor Matthias Calonius (1737–1817) and Swedish Legal Counsellor Christian Naumann (1810–1888). In addition to these, publications from several other collections have been selected into the collection. At the same time, some Finnish proclamations have been moved to the National Collection. The publications have been bound into 290 volumes.
More information about cataloguing
Jörgensen, A., Calonius-Naumannska samlingen i Helsingfors universitetsbibliotek. Helsingin yliopiston kirjaston julkaisuja 17. Helsingfors 1936.
Digitised in Doria (see link).
A separate catalogue has been made of the collection's statutes: The Calonius-Naumann Collection Catalogue of statutes [in chronological order] 1–3. 1600–1833. S.l. & a.
Part of the collection has been catalogued to the National Library Search.
The Calonius-Naumann collection's about 25,000 official publications mainly originate from the library of Finland's first procurator, the country's supreme legal administrator, Professor Matthias Calonius (1737–1817), and from the collection of Swedish Diet publications from 1719 to 1811 collected by Swedish Legal Counsellor Christian Naumann (1810–1888). In addition to these, the collection was complemented in the 1930s with selected publications from the following private libraries: Arch Bishop C. F. Mennander, Commercial Counsellor's wife H. E. Alströmer, G. A. Reuterholm, kanslianeuvos (counsellor) W. G. Lagus and Baron J. A. von Korff.
In addition to the official publications in the Calonius-Naumann Collection, the rest of Matthias Calonius' library of 3,600 volumes made up a significant part of the Offentliga Biblioteket library donated to the University Library in 1828. This donation of 6,000 volumes, which was received after the university moved to Helsinki, forms the oldest part of the library collections together with the 800 books from the Royal Academy of Turku that were spared from the catastrophic 1827 Fire.
Helsinki University Library