Work at The National Library of Finland
As a multidisciplinary expert organisation, the National Library of Finland is an excellent place for a development-oriented professional. Most of those working in our positions have an educational background from the field of library and information sciences, information technology or humanities.
There are no vacant positions at the present time.
The National Library of Finland's vacancies are advertised on the University of Helsinki's career website (helsinki.fi).
Cornerstones of our operations
The cornerstones of our operations are defined in our strategy for 2021-2030.
The principle of openness will guide the National Library’s operations and service development. This principle will be implemented by sharing and receiving ideas openly and boldly and supporting open science. The National Library will establish and maintain a culture of openness.
The principle of renewal means that the National Library will develop the quality,impact, customer orientation and equality of its services. We will promote a culture in which curiosity is held in high esteem. Our renewal will be supported by active cooperation in Finnish and international networks and will be guided by the principles of responsibility, openness and sustainable development.
The National Library is the custodian of Finnish culture and the backbone of Bildung – firmly on the side of knowledge. Bildung belongs to everyone, in good times and bad, also in our increasingly polarised world. The guiding lights of the National Library’s operations will be equal access to information, support for the preconditions of education and research, and the dissemination of ethical, reliable and research-based knowledge.
Work hours and wages
The National Library of Finland has a positive attitude towards integrating the employee's private life's situation and the employer's needs together.
Flexible working hours are applied at the National Library of Finland. Those who have been in the service of the university at least one year have 30 days, i.e. 6 weeks of annual vacation time. Employees with at least 15-year employee relationship accumulate 38 days of annual vacation time.
The salary is based on the university salary system (YPJ), according to which a difficulty level will be determined for the position and a level of personal performance will be defined for the employee. The bonus based on the level of personal performance is 4–46.3% of the salary based on the position's difficulty level. Personal performance is assessed regularly through evaluation discussions held every other year.
The internships of the National Library of Finland are mostly available for students of the humanities or data processing fields.
Internships can be inquired by sending email to email@example.com
The National Library of Finland develops actively its work community and supports the competence of its staff. Plenty of personnel training in a wide array of subjects are available for staff of the University of Helsinki. In addition to continuous development of essential competence, the strategic goal is to reinforce, in particular, the internationality, communication, network, management and financial competence as well as work community skills.
For customers working on their thesis, we offer topical research subjects, specialist support, research materials and, if necessary, working premises at the National Library of Finland.
Our research subjects are mostly related to the development of centralised services offered to libraries, i.e. the national library network services.
- In addition to the library and information field, we also offer research topics suitable for students of data processing and financial management.
- It is possible to write the thesis as a commissioned work, either with a scholarship or as an employee
- The commissioning of theses are always agreed upon case by case and funding depends on the necessity and situation of the division or project
- In addition to the topics, the National Library of Finland provides statistical data suitable for the thesis. An access to the materials of libraries' national user surveys can be granted upon request. The data of the Finnish National Electronic Library FinELib's research survey can be searched from the Finnish Social Science Data Archive ». Additionally, the data recorded in the Finnish Research Library Statistics Database (KITT) can be utilised for research work.
- If possible, expert help for planning the topic may also be offered
Please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.